Classify the Dynamics of Music
In written music the dynamics are shown by letters which stand for Italian words for the dynamic levels. They are listed in the table below. Notice that “piano” is pronounced the Italian way (“pi-AH-no”).
The two basic dynamic indications in music are:
- p or piano, meaning "soft", and
- f or forte, meaning "loud."
- mp, standing for mezzo-piano, meaning "moderately soft", and
- mf, standing for mezzo-forte, meaning "moderately loud".
- pp, standing for "pianissimo" and meaning "very soft", and
- ff, standing for "fortissimo" and meaning "very loud".